Check how you can lower your broadband usage over particular internet for avoiding unnecessary download and torrent. The problem with most internet packages is that their either super high speed or unlimited and never both. These leaves us with the choice of quality or quantity. For those of you who have limited broadband internet packages, you must really stress over your internet bills, scraping the end of the barrel for using your data.
Luckily we have a list of tips and tricks you can use to lessen your broadband usage overall and provide a significant impact on your bills. If you want to learn these life-saving hacks, read on.
Lower Your Broadband Usage Over Internet
Before we begin with the tips, it is critical to understand how you are being billed for your internet usage. You are charged for the amount of data in bytes that you upload and download. Now, it’s important to understand that there is no act over the internet which do not come under uploading and downloading.
So, while aimlessly browsing, using GPS excessively, always being connected on the cloud, keep in mind that these things do spend broadband contrary to popular belief. Which means that if we can avoid any unnecessary download or upload we lessen our usage.
With that important concept out of the way, here is the list of tips to lower your broadband usage over the internet and avoid unnecessary downloads:
- Prevent all default automatic downloads. This includes automatic software updates, automatic windows update and any automated installations. Trust me, it’s better to keep a track of things and upgrade manually than let your data be passively finished under your nose. The only software that you should have on auto-update on is your anti-virus and that is an exhaustive list.
- Zipped uploads and downloads. Whenever you download or upload anything, try to look for a zipped option as you will use less bandwidth transferring a compressed file, saving a little data every time.
- Turn off your modem when not in use. This will insure that you will not waste data on any background processing happening in your device when you are not using it. I know it doesn’t sound like a lot but it really helps.
- Use an offline Map instead of GPS. When you combine the GPS voice, turn by turn instructions, constant tracking, traffic updating and satellite view features of the average GPS or online map, they tend to use a surprisingly large amount of unnecessary data. To avoid this, you can download an offline map. There are some that even provide turn by turn instructions.
- Don’t have your location on all the time. When you do this, you are sending a constant stream of data to a satellite informing it where you are. To minimize the easily avoidable data loss, turn your location on only when you have to.
- Don’t watch HD videos. It is recommended to keep the quality of videos up to 480p instead of 720 p or 1080 p as you are not missing much to see and you will definitely save the internet spent on streaming it.
Here were some tried and tested tricks that may help you in your quest to reduce your bandwidth usage. You will never have to over worry about the internet bill or force yourself to top-up.